Now is the time of year when thefts increase. Let’s all look out for each other and please report any crimes that happen in our neighborhood, no matter how small they seem. The following is a public service announcement that was posted on the Simpsonville Police Department FB page. Our neighborhood has experienced both vehicle and garage thefts in the past. If we work together and take some precautions, hopefully we can decrease the crime!
*Please remember if it’s not an emergency, the number we call to report is: 864-271-5210, not the number that is listed in the city post below. Thank you!
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT- Thefts from vehicles
During the spring and summer months, neighborhoods historically experience an elevated number of thefts from vehicles. During these thefts, the perpetrator(s) typically target unlocked vehicles where valuables are visible from the outside and/or easily located inside the vehicle. These individuals generally rely on their ability to access a large number of vehicles while circulating through the neighborhood and therefore rarely force entry for fear of making noise and risking detection.
These incidents typically occur during the overnight hours and are not reported until the next morning when the owner recognizes property missing or out of place. The items most commonly taken from vehicles are:
- Global Positioning Systems (Garmin, Magellan, Tom-tom)
• Radar Detectors
• Cash (coins)
• Prescription Medications
• Computers / Cell Phones
In an effort to combat this problem, we encourage residents to employ some basic preventative measures:
- Lock your vehicles
• Remove valuables from view
• Do not leave any prescription medications or firearms in your vehicle
• Park vehicles in the garage or driveway
• Leave exterior lights on
• Report any suspicious behavior to police during the overnight hours
(911 or 864-967-9536)
• Report any incident where you believe someone has entered your vehicle without permission (i.e. glove box left open or items strewn about vehicle)